01 Mar Jumpstart Your Spring
BEAT YOUR CABIN FEVER AND GET READY FOR THE SEASON AHEAD
If you’ve got spring on your mind you’re not alone! Warmer temps are flooding Calgary. The sun is rising earlier and setting later. You’re likely getting home during daylight hours, and that sunlight is highlighting the areas in your home or condo that need a little TLC after the long winter. Maybe your green thumb is twitching at the thought of getting your planters out and ready.
Now is the perfect time to get a head start on the approaching season and get your nest in tip-top shape for Spring. But where should you begin?
DEEP CLEAN & ORGANIZE
Spring is the perfect time to make your home sparkle from top to bottom, regardless of size. You can use this checklist as a guide to make your home look like you’ve just moved in.
- Clean your baseboards (tip: use a fabric dryer sheet for a quick and effective clean).
- Wash your floors and get deep in the grout. If you have rugs, take them outside for a shake and cleaning.
- Dust furniture, décor, surfaces, windowsills, trim, light switches, and light fixtures.
- Replace furnace filter once all cleaning is complete.
- Dust light fixtures, switches and electrical outlets.
- Replace light bulbs as needed.
- Check the batteries in alarms and detectors.
- Clean out the refrigerator and toss expired food.
- Clean your appliances inside and out.
- Reorganize drawers and storage areas. Donate old small appliances that you don’t use. Match Tupperware with lids and toss any that don’t match. Donate any mismatched coffee mugs and wine glasses.
- Organize your clothing and storage. Donate old clothes to a local shelter or charity.
- Clean soft furnishings – covers/duvets, pillows, pillow covers, sheets, throw blankets, bedding, etc.
- Flip and rotate your mattresses.
- Recycle or repurpose empty canisters and bottles.
- Clean out and organize drawers and cabinets.
- Deep clean tile grout and reseal or caulk any areas that need it.
- Clean linen shower curtains, bathmats, rugs and towels.
START YOUR URBAN GARDEN (INDOORS)
Since Calgary has a fairly short growing season, starting seeds indoors allows you to gain a few precious weeks of growing time. Many flowers, both annual and perennial, grow well from seed started indoors.
Get the timing right
The goal is to have your seedlings ready to go to the deck or patio when the weather is favorable. Start by looking at the seed packets, which should tell you when to start seeds inside.
Purchase seeds and soil
Visit the local greenhouse or garden centre and pick out your seeds. Make sure you get potting soil that’s made for growing seedlings indoors.
Find suitable containers
You can start seeds in almost any type of container, as long as it’s at least 2-3″ deep and has some drainage holes. If you are the DIY type, you might want to grow seedlings in yogurt cups, milk cartons or paper cups.
Generally, you can start most flower seeds indoors six to eight weeks before the planting date recommended on the seed packet. Make sure to read the packets as you start out and follow the watering guidelines.
Taking the time to tackle these tasks before the snow melts is the best way to assure that you can make the most out of the upcoming sunny spring weather. Additionally, it can be very cathartic and have significant mental health benefits such as reducing anxiety, improving sleep and boosting productivity and creativity.